Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  June 27, 2011 3:00am-4:00am EDT

3:00 am
any a-list of hollywood power couples would include will and jada pinkett smith. on her career. >> i love acting. i love producing. i love being a mother. i love being a wife. if i had to choose one? just put me in the crazy house. >> you've got the power to meet the number one movie star in the world, just abandoned schedules for his wife. that's the real power. >> well that's love. >> and her family values. >> will and i have a lot of support and have a lot of knowledge that we can give our
3:01 am
kids some life lessons and they can be safe. >> there's steve harvey, he's a very funny man with some very serious opinions on relationships -- >> hey, man. let me tell you the truth. if i understood women and could write that book, i'd be a billionaire. >> and role models. >> real men do what they say they're going to do. >> this is piers morgan tonight. it's almost nothing that jada pinkett smith can't do. actor, singer, director, author, producer business woman, a family woman. she joins me now. bligh me. how on earth do you do so much? >> i just put one foot in front of the other and keep it going. if i think about it, i'll get overwhelmed.
3:02 am
>> what i like about it, i get the sense from both you and will it's all about your background, the work ethic comes from not having anything when you were young. >> absolutely. >> now you've got the chance to do this stuff. it must be, a, very exciting, but, b, have you that drive because you know where you came from. >> absolutely. i think benjamin franklin talked about that how, children who are brought up without much really have the best work ethic. but for me, it's -- i'm so blessed to be able to do what i love to do as well. >> what do you like doing the most? put family aside for one moment. professional. if i could offer you the chance to just do one of these things, every day -- >> oh, my goodness. one? >> what would you choose. what would you get rid of? what do you think is the one thing you love most? >> i think that's been my curse, that i can't really find that one thing that keeps me content or happy.
3:03 am
i've always wanted to have the ability to do what i want to do. i mean there are so many things that i want to do. i love acting. i love directing. i love producing. i love being a mother. i love being a wife. if i had to choose one? just put me in the crazy house! >> what would your mother say? mothers always know. if i had her sitting there now, what would she say is the thing you enjoy most, do you think? my mother would know. >> she would probably say being a mother. >> right. but what about professional? >> music. >> really. >> yeah. >> that's interesting. >> yeah. she would say music, seeing me on stage. >> sharon osbourne raves about your music. >> i went on oz fest. she brought me on oz fest. >> she said your band is fantastic. you're a like old wild rock chick. i find these hard to understand because you seem to apparently nice, normal -- >> that's the -- >> -- sort of girl you want to take home to meet your mother.
3:04 am
>> yeah -- no. >> i read all this dark stuff. >> well, you know, i feel like that's the yin and the yang of any personality. really? are any of us one thing really? no. >> angelic. your mother raised you as a single parent. >> yes. >> i know that you had a pretty tough year actually because your father died, then his mother died. >> yes. my aunt also passed away. >> then three very close members of your family. >> yes. >> what is it like for you growing up in a single parent household? >> very hard. very hard. my mother was also very young when she had me so it was like two sisters trying to make it on their own. and the environment in which we were growing up in was not easy. you know? so two women trying to protect each other and trying to make it together. it was very difficult. very difficult. >> no money. >> didn't have a lot of money. i mean we weren't broke.
3:05 am
my mother was a nurse actually. >> i know. >> yeah. >> was she as kick-ass as you are? >> yes, she is. probably more so. probably more so. but yeah, it was very tough. >> what did she teach you, your mother, in terms of values, do you think? >> i think how to endure. my mother had been through a lot and i just watched her overcome so many demons of her own and she never gave up and she always -- i mean she's such a hero in my eyes and everything that she's been through and i've just watched her over the years just blossom and become. i've just learned that life is about enduring. >> that's an interesting word. i've never heard someone say that before, that life's about enduring. >> yes. >> i would imagine there will be people watching this and saying well what do you have to endure now? >> i would say i still have my demons. i still have my demons from my childhood. >> like what? >> you know, i have my own issues of abandonment.
3:06 am
you know. and also -- >> from your father. >> from father and being raised by a young mother who was really trying to find her way as well as, you know, having this little girl by her side. so all kinds of issues come up with that but i sure have a lot of daddy issues. >> tell me about him. >> he's a very unique man. i must say. he wasn't a great father, but i must say he was an incredibly interesting, unique man and i really admired him. i think that a lot of my gifts and my talents have come from him and -- but you know, he wasn't a great dad. but he was a cool guy. >> did he get better as you got older, or not? >> i would say before he passed, we had an opportunity to find a common ground. we really did.
3:07 am
we found a common ground. i don't know if we got complete understanding. >> did you forgive him? >> i forgive him now. i forgive him now. i think once he passed, a lot of things fell upon me when he passed away. a lot of revelations came to me. and it's so sad that it takes death for, you know, fierce revelation to hit you. and i wish, before he had passed, we could have had a more solidified reconciliation. but we didn't. but i must say that now i do forgive him. >> what do you think you get from him in terms of your personality? >> my creative mind. you know? i would say my contemplative way of thinking. my courage to step outside of the box and do things that, you know, are unlikely. he was that character.
3:08 am
people would say, your dad's far out. so i think i get most of my far- outness for sure. >> what does your mother make >> what does your mother make of this absurd way that your life has turned from those early days? >> i think she's amazed. you know? it doesn't stop. >> does she worry about you? >> she worries when i work too hard. you know. just recently she was like, okay, this is getting ridiculous. she's like i'm calling the producers. so sometimes she gets a little concerned about that. but she really enjoys what i do and what the family does. i mean -- i mean it's her dream. >> i want to play a little clip from "hawthorne" which you play a brilliant character. then i want to ask you what your mother thinks of it. let's watch this. >> hello? [ speaking foreign language ] >>
3:09 am
you sure you got the right number? >> i'll make this meeting with morrison quick. >> i miss you already. >> it's only been five hours. i miss you like crazy. >> all right. because i'm going to take a hot bath and i suggest you get home before it gets cold. because that's when i get out and that's when you miss out. >> oh, really. well, you just make sure you keep my side of the bed warm. okay? >> no, what's mine -- >> i mean it all happened on this show. doesn't it? explosions? pregnancies? >> attacks? yeah. >> and of course some rather steamy love scenes go on, too, i've noticed. >> yes. >> what does a certain other man in your life -- the one sitting opposite of you -- i happen to know he's ten feet away -- think of this? >> it's part of what we do. >> could i not watch my wife do a love scene. he produces this with you. right?
3:10 am
>> yeah, he does. >> is he there in the room? >> no, that -- no, won't do that. it's like sitting there watching the monitor, like no, okay, cut. jada, what you need to do is -- no, we don't do that. but what's interesting is having a partner that's in the industry as well. you know what those love scenes are. he's done enough to know -- there's no real romance going on. >> this is a great excuse i hear from all these actors. right? then of course the reality is, how many of them end up having these steamy flings for real with their co-stars. answer "a lot." >> that's true. >> so i'm doing the math here. that's why if i was in either of your positions watching this -- >> right. >> -- i would be -- >> and i get that. you just have to have trust. you really do. you have to have trust. >> can you watch him do it? >> i can. >> really. >> i really can. but i'm a different creature in that way as well. i'm always the one like, listen,
3:11 am
you better -- all right? don't sew me -- hey, let him see what you got. all right? don't play with it. you know? that's always me. >> we'll take break. when we come back i want to talk to you about your marriage. what i liked about it is that you were kind of flabbergasted you got married anyway. then you're even more flabbergasted it's lasted 14 years and you still seem ridiculously in love. i need to know the secret. we all do.
3:12 am
3:13 am
any questions? no. you know... ♪ we're not magicians ♪ we can't read your mind ♪ ♪ read your mind ♪ we need your questions ♪ each and every kind ♪ every kind ♪ will this react with my other medicine? ♪ ♪ hey, what are all these tests even for? ♪ ♪ questions are the answer ♪ yeah
3:14 am
♪ oh
3:15 am
oh sweet thing, romeo. if you think i'm all that, then step to me correctly. but if you think i'm schemes, i'll be dissing and dismissing, then you'll be working overtime getting me back, so stop perpetrating and let's get there party started because baby, you know i love you. >> that's from "a different world," jada's first big gig in hollywood and a sitcom produced by bill cosby. one reporter described you as dainty but kick-ass, chiseled but curvy, accessible yet aeons away from the average person's life.
3:16 am
what do you make about that? >> i would say that's pretty much on the nose. that's how -- >> it makes you a fascinating complex character. >> yeah. >> much more than people might think. >> yeah, definitely. i hear that a lot. especially in interviews. >> are you saying we are all the same? >> i don't think that -- it's really hard to get the gist of all that i am. a lot of people see me as the mom and a lot of people see me as the nurse on "hawthorne" on tnt. but people don't really get to know who jada is. i think only my close friends and my husband and my family really -- >> what don't we know but that would be -- >> i think -- >> -- we'd be interested to found out? >> i think all the different layers. all the many different interests that i have. and how deeply i love and how committed i am to what i love and my own truths and, you know,
3:17 am
i don't know if people really know or understand that about me. >> if we just studied you with everything you do, you'd and compelling interview subject anyway. it just so happens you're also married to the most bankable movie star on the planet earth. >> yes. >> which kind of lifts the whole thing to a ridiculous level. >> right. yeah. >> well you didn't make it easy, did you? >> no, i didn't. i did not. and i would say, that's one thing about me. i never choose the easy road. you know? and i must say that my life with will and the life that we have together is wonderful, but on the other side of that, it's hard to stand next to a man, you know, as powerful as he is. you know? just because of being his support and what it takes to support that is a lot.
3:18 am
>> i met you for the first time ever about 20 minutes ago and he's exactly how you hope will smith's going to be. >> oh, absolutely. >> he's just a nice, easy, funny guy. obviously incredibly in love with his wife. >> yes. >> who's just there to support you. it was nice to see. you don't see that very often. >> yeah. no. and he took two days after. i'm only here for two days and he took two days off from "men in plaque 3" to be here with me and to make sure that i'm okay. he knew that i had a rough, rough schedule and he was like, you know what? i'm going to take off and i'm going to take care of you. >> you talk about him having power. you've got the power to make the number one movie star in the world just abandon schedules for his wife. that's the real power. >> well that's love. that's love. >> what made you fall in love with him? >> i would say will came at a time in my life where he saw a beauty in me that i didn't see in myself at the time. he saw a diamond in the rough and he kind of picked me up and blew off all the dust and said i'm telling you, i'm going to
3:19 am
make you shine, girl! >> he certainly did. >> right. exactly. i was going through a really rough time and, you know, he created a space -- a safe space for me to get healthy and to grow and to find myself. >> how do you keep things so -- i mean i keep reading that the pair of you have this sort of fantastic sex life. after 14 years. >> you have to. you know, and i know people get so upset about it, but for me -- >> i get excited about it. what i've read is that wherever you go, the pair of you, you try and make love. >> i mean we've made love some interesting places. >> should i be concerned about my green room? >> you should be. you should be. you know? but the thing about it is i feel like you have to keep spontaneity. you have to keep your partner on their toes. because once it starts getting into a routine, it's like, it gets very boring. you know? and you commit, you give your life to someone? >> as a guy, you look at will smith, and you think fantastic actor, lovely guy, blokes love him, women love him, everybody loves him, and now we've got to deal with the fact that he's good in bed as well. >> yeah. >> it's a charge sheet. you've been really critical. come on. really critical. look at him sneaking in the room right now.
3:20 am
let's try to do it on one fault. >> he's workaholic. >> is that a fault? >> it can be at times. but it's not like a crushing fault. but you said one thing. i gave you one. i gave you one. >> do you two ever have an argument. do you ever scream at each other? >> no, we don't scream at each other. we cut that in the beginning. because we're both very passionate people so we knew we wouldn't survive screaming at each other. so, but yeah, we have our arguments and we have our disagreements and we have our debates and we have our -- we have our problems. i mean it's not perfect in the sense that we don't have any issues. it's not an easy marriage. >> what is the secret? >> the secret -- >> -- to a successful hollywood marriage. there's all the particular pressures. >> friendship. friendship. have you to be friend ndata rtneranngf ats needed i te rho. toyoig nw, % eerinntbut your s we swel lkbo.
3:21 am
debates and we have our -- we have our problems. i mean it's not perfect in the sense that we don't have any issues. it's not an easy marriage. >> what is the secret? >> the secret -- >> -- to a successful hollywood marriage. there's all the particular pressures. >> friendship. friendship. have you to be friends. and in that have a certain understanding of what is needed. i think that with marriages, people have to understand that you have to look at your marriage and understand what is needed in your marriage. not what people think your marriage should be, not what people want your marriage to be. but i have to look at my husband and i have to look at him and look at what he needs as an individual. he has to look at me and see what i need, and then we have to look at the union and see what the union needs and we have to make decisions based on that. not based on what people think marriage should be. >> who's the boss? >> both of us. i'm going to tell you right now, it's not one or the other.
3:22 am
believe you me! okay? i know people -- it's both. >> even as you do that, i'm terrified. i think i know. we have to have a little break. when i come back i want to talk about the fact that not just you two kicking ass in entertainment, but your kids as well so we'll talk about them. >> okay. good. >> and their fabulous careers. >> all right.
3:23 am
3:24 am
see that?
3:25 am
3:26 am
see that? feel that? i could break it. i'm choosing not to. ♪ >> that of course is the next generation of the smith dynasty. 15-year-old jaden, 11-year-old willow with her massive hit "whip my hair." >> yes. you've got some family here. because they're genuinely talented. it's not like you sort of thrust them down an unsuspecting public's throat and they're not any good. they're very talented children. >> yes, they are, if i say so myself. >> i know you're asked this a lot. suppose i rephrase the obvious do you worry about them. i've read your explanation that actually because they're surrounded by so much love and talented people, not just with
3:27 am
you but with your friends who are all -- many of them in the which are in the business, if you can't succeed in that environment, where would they given where you and will came from. i guess the obvious question is, as you know, fame brings with it its own kind of pressures. >> absolutely. >> entertainment. performing. all that kind of thing is a pressurized environment. do you ever get concerned about having the kids go down your route so young? >> it's interesting, because when i think about the pressures that i had growing up, you know, living in a drug-infested neighborhood, not always having the lights on, not always knowing where my next meal is going to come from, having parents who are addicted to drugs, i think i would rather have my kids deal with pressures in this hollywood platform in a more contained, controlled environment than having had them
3:28 am
be confronted with life on that platform. and with life there are pressures. there's no getting around it. so i actually feel really blessed to have a platform like hollywood where i actually feel like will and i have a lot of support and have a lot of knowledge that we can give our kids some life lessons and they can be safe to a certain degree. >> on the show "america's got talent," when i see these young kids come, we often get criticized for encouraging them to be stars. when you see someone who's so incredibly gifted. my first question is, show me the parents. >> right. >> let me see what's going on here. how pushy are they being. are they there for them, with understanding. the thing that's so obvious about this environment is that both you and will know all the problems, know all the pitfalls. it's not like you're going to be pushing them. >> no. i mean this is their game and at
3:29 am
any time that they want to stop, they have our full support. don't know if willow and jaden want to do this for the rest of their lives. i know they want to do it now. i'll tell you what else is interesting about other children who are brought into this hollywood game. i feel like the paradigm gets shifted, because the child becomes the breadwinner of the family, so they become the adults. they have to make the decisions. the adults start relying upon them and they're hiring and firing parents and family members. well, it will be a long time before jaden smith or willow smith is breadwinner of the smith family household! you know? so the paradigm stays in. >> in terms of being the breadwinner, i want to be their manager. >> exactly. so, you know, they still have the ability to remain as children who just happen to entertain, where i think most children end up making more money than their parents and it just creates a very difficult
3:30 am
paradigm for them to live within. >> i want to read you a quote. you said i have more comfort in my skin and in the world than i did in my 20s. at that age you're looking for a dude to take care of you. in your 30s you start connecting with your own internal power. once i started to take care of myself, everything else that was supposed to fall into place did. you're about to be -- >> no, say it. >> 40. >> yes. and i'm proud. >> i mean that? >> i really do! i feel good. listen, it's inevitable. >> i didn't like turning 40. >> you know what? i actually don't mind it. i really don't. i thought i was going to have a more difficult time and i think what helped -- >> does it help because you look 25? >> well thank you! thank you. well you know, they say 40 is the new 30. that's what they say. that's how i feel. >> if i pushed it a bit like that he might come on and just take control -- >> you probably have to push a little harder than that. but yeah, i feel really good.
3:31 am
i really do. i have to say. and i think having had those three deaths in the last year gave me deep reflection on my life and on my blessings and i think that that really put everything in perspective. >> how would you most like to be remembered eventually? what's the thing you'd be proudest of do you think? >> i don't know. i hope that -- i hope that the people that i've loved remember me as loving them fiercely. my grandmother, who raised me, her love is what has carried me through so many things. it's what i remember most. so i would say it would be how i've loved. you're going to make me cry. don't do it, piers. don't do it. >> i didn't do anything!
3:32 am
>> don't make me cry. >> you're moving me when you react like that. i get that. especially the journey you've come on. it's so extraordinary. >> thank you. >> and you've had these strong women in your life. >> yeah, i have been very blessed to have that. i really have. >> it's been a real pleasure to meet you. >> getting in one more shameless plug for your show. >> "hawthorne." >> otherwise your producer -- >> you got to make sure you tune in to "hawthorne" tnt, 10:00, tuesdays. >> you're fabulous in it. i've loved meeting you so much. >> thank you. my pleasure. coming up, a seriously funny guy, steve harvey on everything that women need to know about men.
3:33 am
3:34 am
3:35 am
3:36 am
steve harvey's a man of many talents -- comedian, actor, radio host, game show host. best selling author. his latest book "to act like a lady, think like man," is on "the new york times" best seller list for 64 weeks. steve harvey joins me now. that is some book record you have. >> amazing. >> 64 weeks on "the new york
3:37 am
times" best sellers. >> kind of crazy. i didn't really see that coming. >> don't take this personally. i am a big fan of your work. but why have you become such a popular advisor/guru/relationship adviser? >> well, be honest with you, man, that's really not what i am. you know? i wrote these books strict -- i only thing i really know about is how men think. that's my expertise, is how men think. people took the book and they start -- they got to put a label on you so they started saying he is a relationship expert, he's a love guru. hey, man, let me tell you the truth. if i understood women and could write that book, i'd be a billionaire. i really would, man. >> why do you think that -- you say you've been positioned as a guy who understands how men think, but why do you think you represent men? there must be lots of men who don't think like you? >> well, see, when it comes to certain things like love,
3:38 am
commitment, sex, guys, piers, pretty much think the same way. we really do. you can put us in a nutshell. we're guys. we think pretty much the same way. i think what happened was, i just was one of the guys to just decide to be honest about it and just tell women the truth and say, okay, here it is, here is how we really feel about this. you don't have to like it or agree with it, but this is how we feel about it. >> one of the main reasons you've come on today is not just the book. it's about this mentoring program you have, called share, teach and demonstrate the principles of manhood to young men. >> um-hmm. >> what are the principles of manhood? >> well, first of all, it's not what's being put out there today in our music and our videos. that's not the only portrayal of manhood, but it's given our young people who don't have fathers in their lives a wrong portrayal of what manhood really is. real men, the principles are simple.
3:39 am
real men go to work, real men have jobs, real men take care of their children, real men are law abiding citizens. real men are god fearing. real men honor women, respect women. that's what manhood is. if you allow for young boys who don't have the proper role models to listen to the stuff or have a lot of stuff inundated into their mindset, they'll get the wrong idea. they'll get to thinking that what kind of car you have, what kind of jewelry you wear, if you have a star status as a rapper or athlete or something like that it makes you a man. being those things don't make you not a man but that's not the defining -- >> is your mentoring program aimed primarily at young black men or is it wider than that? >> it was set up to be wider than that. but because i promote it on my radio show, 97% to 98% of the kids that end up at the program are african-american. >> do you think there is a particular cultural issue with
3:40 am
young black men in america right now that needs to be addressed? and if so, what is it? >> i mean absolutely. absolutely. it's a huge problem in our community and it's something that it's not the government's fault. and we can't expect the government to come along and fix this problem. there's a huge segment in our population of young men who are growing up with not enough of the proper male role models in place, and it happens in our community for various numbers of reasons. you know, there's a statistic out that there are more african-american young men of college age in prison than in college. okay, that stat right there is alarming. that's something that we can do something about. so it is a big problem in our community and it has to be addressed by those of us who are very familiar with the community. >> i want to play you a clip from the mentor ring. >> i really don't have a dad because my dad's in jail. i just stay with my mom.
3:41 am
every time i wake up, i feel like i don't have a man to support me. >> i'm glad you let me come up here. >> a very emotional moment there. tell me about your fathering. >> see, my father was so, so critical to my existence, man. if it wasn't for my dad, there's no way, man. there's no way i'd turn out to be who i am today. he offered too much guidance for me. he kept me straight when i was sliding off the path. he kept me, you know, grounded when i wanted to shoot off. my father was just there, man. >> what values did you give you? >> i mean he taught me hard work. if you never do whatever say you're going to do, that's very rough for you as a man. >> you give a very moving dedication in the book. my dear mother taught me my love and faith in god.
3:42 am
to my father jesse "slick" harvey whose sole purpose seemed to be to teach me how to be a man and that combination has kept me moving forward even in my darkest days. i miss them so much. i hope i'm making them proud. >> what do you think they'd have made of you, particularly your father who was this great mentor? what would he have made of what you've made of yourself? >> i think my father would be proud of me right now. you know? he would have scolded me a couple of times because i made a couple mistakes along the way. >> what would he have scolded you for? >> you know, i think a couple of relationships he would have wanted me to get it together a little sooner, because my mother and father was married for 64 years. you know, that's all i've ever known. i've just known these two people to be married so i've -- >> that's an amazing -- >> yeah, man.
3:43 am
>> -- length of time. there is an irony, if you don't mind me saying this, in the sense of you being portrayed as "act like a lady, think like a man, straight talker, no chaser." you're the love guru. you've had two failed marriages. you're in your third marriage. it's not been plain sailing for you. if you were being hypercritical of yourself, imagine even your dad talking to you about those failed marriages, what would you say to yourself? >> i mean, it's kind of okay because what i've learned about mistakes and failures is that they're not just complete wipeouts. mistakes and failures are great teachers, and failure is the best teacher of them all. i don't know that you can learn any better than when you fail. it's like when i'm on stage, if i'm performing and all the jokes are working, then that's a cool night. but what makes you great is when you go out there and a large portion of these jokes are not working and you learn how to fix them an how not to get in that situation again.
3:44 am
and so failure became a great teacher for me. i think if i had not failed the way i have, if i had not hit my head and made the bumps and bruises, i probably wouldn't know a whole lot of what i'm talking about. >> going to take a short break. when we come back i'm going to talk to you about some of those failures in more detail, see what you feel you've learned from them. >> no problem. i like that.
3:45 am
3:46 am
3:47 am
3:48 am
and the note says -- i'll never forget this note. the note says, "even if there were no planes, trains or buses, i would still walk 100 miles for one of your kisses." >> that was your ex-wife, second ex-wife mary, that's from the infamous youtube clips. >> boy, you played that one, huh. >> except to say that i know you have the bad stuff but that was a nice line. that was the reason they chose it. it was actually a kind of reminder of happier times. >> yeah. because like now, that same bus, train and automobile, i'd crash
3:49 am
it into the side of a mountain. just a little different thing right now. >> with all your experience, how can things go that wrong? from the guy who wants to one moment be on any train, bus -- next moment wants to crash it. how do you think a relationship goes so badly wrong and what do you do when you see the warning signs? if you had your time again in that relationship, what would you do differently to try and stop that happening? >> well, i don't know that i could, because i just think, you know, it was at a bad time for me. i probably should have kept moving at that period in my life. i don't really know there is anything i could have did to stop that from happening. it is regretful that it comes down to something like this. because you know, man, when you have a child involved, i think that is a harmful way to go about it. people have their own way of dealing with it.
3:50 am
viabout divorced for six years. now, is a crazy time to bring up something that you have been feeling. we dealt with it. >> a weird sign of the times, too. when an ex-wife can go on utube, it wouldn't have happened 20 years ago. there was no internet. >> what is crazy about it, not just for me, but there are people who lose their jobs, there are people who lose relationships, because there is no policing on the internet. a person can get on the internet and say and do anything. it can be total falsehoods, as happened with me. then they lose their job and stuff like that is happening. i wish there was something that could be done. it is too late for me. it happened to me. i got beyond it. >> what have you changed about yourself. you now in your third marriage, from everything i read and heard, very happy. almost like you cracked it finally.
3:51 am
is that how you see it? >> exactly, man. i think the difference between now and then is because the decision i made this time, i put a lot of faith behind it. i talk about my faith all the time. it will be hard to tell the steve harvey story without talking about my faith. >> do you think you are now married for life? >> yes. definitely. i mean, vimy soulmate. i found what i have been looking for. >> what was it, now you have the benefit of hindsight. you learned the hard way. what do you think you were really looking for in a woman? >> what i have now. >> which is what? >> i have a woman who wakes up, who is completely happy with herself. before, i thought my job was to make you happy. that is not my job. i am not that good. i don't have the ability.
3:52 am
so, what i learned was, i found someone who was happy with themselves. i don't have to wake up to make margery happy, she wakes up happy. she is happy with herself. when i bring my happy and her happy to the party, it is a great time. do we have difficulties and problems, yes, man. just like everybody else. we resolve them differently. we know how to sit down and work through it. she has taught me not to raise my voice. firaise my voice, she stops talking to me, period. >> she shuts it down. gusomewhere and you say, this is crazy. this is crazy. you know. >> when we come back, we will talk to you about what you think men really want from a woman. other than what you just explained. [ applause ] ♪ get over it welcome to the aarp get-over-it-a-thon.
3:53 am
i'm your hostess, betty white. if you're 50 or over but hesitant to join aarp because you think it makes you old, i have a very important message: get over it! i'm 89. feeling old at 50? really? time to put your grown-up pants on. [ rim shot ] by the time you were born, i had already dated my way through the rat pack. [ laughter ] being a member of aarp is just $16 a year. i have friends who spend more than that a day on botox. and you get all kinds of great services and discounts. let's go to the phones. [ jeff ] isn't it embarrassing, pulling out an aarp card? don't be such a wuss. all a young buck like you should be embarrassed about is paying full price when you don't have to. it can't make you old -- just like it can't make me a lingerie model. [ elizabeth ] isn't aarp for retired people?
3:54 am
i'm not retired. well, neither am i, honey. the only thing working harder than i am these days is the rumor mill about who i'm dating. moi? it's not about retirement. it's about having what you need to live life to the fullest. that's why aarp protects social security and medicare -- for you and future generations. so cougars like me can look forward to years of happy, healthy hunting. [ purrs ] [ man ] yeah! face the facts, people. the benefits are clear, and even youngsters like you deserve a little something. look -- you're not getting any younger... so get over it. call in. i'm standing by. [ telephone rings ] [ snores ] take it away, bettys. ♪ get over it [ male announcer ] call and join aarp and be entered for a chance to win a trip to hollywood to meet betty white. plus get this free travel bag. just call and join aarp now.
3:55 am
3:56 am
steve, you don't have to take me out tonight. get me a half a gallon of chunky monkey and the remote and get me some vodka.
3:57 am
>> you know, you are an attractive woman and any man would be proud to have you on his arm. >> then why are my husband and my pool man looking for his and his bathroom towel. >> well, it could have been worse. he could have left you for the white woman. >> well, that is a clip from the "steve harvey show" and has run for six seasons. steve, you are obviously joking there. tell us in all of your studies for the books and things, is your conclusion that interracial relationships, marriages should be encouraged or not encouraged? >> well, i mean, from my take on everything, i think that people should find love, whatever that is. i mean, love doesn't have a color attached to it. so i'm perfectly fine with it, and it is a decision that people have to make. >> and you sold millions of books and quite astonishingly record with the books, and you tell women that men want three things, support, loyalty and sex.
3:58 am
you say that the key thing for any woman is the 90-day sex ban. don't succumb for 90 days. >> well, i have worked a couple of jobs in my life, and 11 of them to be exact before comedy, and all of the jobs had a probationary period, motor electric, and general electric and all of them had you to stay on the job 90 days before you got any benefits, health, dental or anything. 90 days. and women, who have one of the best benefits of them all and everything that a man wants, and if i tell you he wants love, support, and sex and you possess all three things, why would you give it to a man without knowing everything that you could know about this guy? why would you give him the benefits before 90 days, especially if you are looking for a long-term commitment? now, if you are out at the clubs and you are doing something for the weekend and you want a hot weekend with a guy, do your
3:59 am
thing, but if you are looking for a long-term relationship like most companies are with who they employ, they wait 90 days before they give them benefits. >> and this is all laudable, steve, but i have a question for you, as a member of the male species why the hell would you tell women what we need? what's in it for us? >> well, because you are not even going buy the book. people who have bought the book, 2,999,000 million of them have been women. i don't care what you think. y'all don't even read. women tell me all of the time, steve, you should write a book for men. listen to me, men don't read. when is the last time, piers, you have been in a bubble bath with some candles lit. >> yeah. >> and a book and a glass of wine. >> reading about love and relationships. >> you?

29 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on